Jennifer Logan Anti-Pro

10/05/2009

The Crisp and the Loss

So much has happened since I last blogged or journal-penned or wrote to no one in particular about things that occur in my life.

I will just go ahead and say this right off the bat: We lost our dear Granny. She battled so long, not with cancer or anything (although she did battle and defeat colon cancer in a previous decade). Granny had a weak heart and other ailments that come naturally from living a long time. She died last Sunday September 27th, very early in the morning. Our little family was there to see her that evening. Her children, her children’s children. We did not want to see her go, and she is severely missed. She was a good Granny, and everyone of us knew it. She is a very strong thread in the fabric of my life. My childhood was influenced heavily by Granny (and Grandpa), and I treasure each memory I have of and with her. I like to think she is relaxing right now, just thrilled to be healthy and at peace.

Granny was my last living grandparent. This fact just occurred to me yesterday, and I felt very somber thereafter. I do feel lucky to have known all four of my grandparents well, but it was a sobering moment when I realized they are all gone now.

I cannot think of a good transition out of this sad news, and perhaps there is no need for one. But I would like to note that my heavy heart is lifted by this beautiful fall weather. Autumn is my absolute favorite season. My high school best friend and I called it “frolicking weather.” Simply stated, it makes me want to prance.

Other things of note: My family and I went to the state fair last weekend. The people-gazing was a little disappointing this year. The food was not.

AJ and I took a fun vacation in Cozumel in September. We didn’t dance with any dolphins (that’s what you do, right? Dance with them?) But we did find much-needed relaxation and fun shopping. We also enjoyed the true-blue waters of the Caribbean Sea. I was not a huge fan of the Mexican cervezas, but I did happen on to some delicious tequilas there. We went with good friends who helped pull us out of the ocean after one too many drinks. Thanks to Dawn’s proactive fervor we did many of the activities our resort offered such as poolside bingo, kayaking, snorkeling and - funnest of all - karaoke. I used my very limited Spanish language skills (I had “tourist” written on my forehead), and kept mixing it in my head with my limited German language skills. My internal dialogue: “Hallo, buenos dias. Dos cervezas, por favor. Danke. Adios, senor. Wiedersehen.” Very confusing.

Just because it is a big deal to me, I will state here that I have not smoked a cigarette in over six months. Did I say “big” deal? I meant “enormously big” deal. Yes, this is the second time I have quit, and yes, it is harder to quit the second time. So, here is my unrequested advice. Do not start smoking in the first place. And if you already smoke and you quit, do not start smoking again. You will regret it.

I want to start making blogs with photos again so that everyone can see how much my step-children and the Wild Thing have grown (I refuse to have a “grandchild” at the fair age of 30. So, Rayn shall forever be referred to by me as the Wild Thing). Also, my mini-dog Julius is two years old now, and it would break your heart to know just how infinitesimally tiny he is. My pocket-size pooch. (If you can’t tell, I am running out of synonyms for “small” to describe my dog. Those who have met Julius know that he is, in fact, a Labrador Retriever who may be a little short in the legs, but otherwise normal-sized).

Also, I am on Facebook now. So, look me up! Jennifer Logan in Chouteau, OK.

Until next time, I bid you adieu.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home