Jennifer Logan Anti-Pro

6/03/2009

Extra Special Petite


I have a pet dog named Julius who is tiny to the point of being minuscule. We’re talking microscopic. He’s a beautiful one-and-a-half-year-old Labrador Retriever. I say his color is “gingerbread,” but my husband insists the color is known as “rare red fox.” I don’t see nearly enough red in his coat to justify such a striking description.

My teensy pooch was struck by a motorized dirt bike that came flying up the alleyway next to our house last week. Julius is okay, but he’s limping on his left side. He likes to follow along behind me as I drive the riding lawn mower and explore the yard as I mow. He was doing exactly this when a teen, or perhaps a pre-teen, boy came illegally flying up the grassy alley on his dirt bike. Because of the mower noise, I never noticed the kid until I heard Julius begin yelping in pain. I immediately shut down the mower and ran to him. The boy was picking up his bike and driving off. I never found out if the kid was hurt in any way. Julius must have seen the kid near his “turf,” and chased after him. My poor little pooch was hurt. It’s been about five days since his injury was caused. He’s doing better now, but he still has an obvious limp.

Julius shouldn’t have chased the kid, but ATV’s and motor bikes are not allowed in the alley, and my teensy tinsy dog is not used to seeing them there. I know that kids will be kids, and I’m not that angry at the boy driving the dirt bike. I’m sure he didn’t mean to hit my diminutive little dog, and I hope the kid’s okay. Julius, however, has not been so forgiving. My normally fun-loving dog who never met a stranger he didn’t absolutely love, has turned bitter toward passers-by. Since the injury, he barks and bristles up at every baby in a stroller or elderly couple out for an evening walk that he sees. He does not want anyone encroaching his territory. After having gotten hurt, he seems to be issuing a strong warning to all those who walk his neighborhood streets. “Stay off-a my property.”

I guess it’s a good thing that he’s more aware of his surroundings now, but part of me is hoping that he will revert back to his people-friendly self again someday. In spite of this new ultra-protective attitude, Julius is still a beautiful and immeasurably small pooch. I love him very much, and I’m grateful he’s going to be okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home